From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Change profile
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 14:19:28
1 On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 15:44:46 +0200, Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
2
3 > > --deep is an option, and I understand why you choose not to use it,
4 > > but on this occasion it is necessary to accomplish the OP's goal.
5 >
6 > and I really do not believe that ;)
7
8 Believe what you like, I am relating direct experiences here. Faith has
9 nothing to do with it.
12 > If a package is 'hit' by the new flag, --newuse should cover it. With
13 > or without --deep-
14
15 When run with --update only, emerge considers only those packages listed
16 in world and their direct dependencies. Lower level dependencies won't be
17 looked at, so portage won;t pick up the changed USE flag.
18
19 From the man page
20
21 --deep (-D)
22
23 When used in conjunction with --update, this flag forces emerge to
24 consider the entire dependency tree of packages, instead of checking only
25 the immediate dependencies of the packages. As an example, this catches
26 updates in libraries that are not directly listed in the dependencies of
27 a package.
31 Neil Bothwick
32
33 "Did you sleep well?" "No, I made a couple of mistakes."