From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Heads up - Perl upgrade borked spamassassin & fix, but still curious
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 10:48:02
1 Ow Mun Heng wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2004-12-06 at 12:03, Peter Ruskin wrote:
3 >
4 >>On Monday 06 December 2004 01:56, Nick Rout wrote:
5 >>
6 >>>This morning a perl upgrade from (5.8.4-r1 to 5.8.5-r2) borked
7 >>>spamassassin for me. There was a complaint from spamassassin and
8 >>>from sa-learn about not being able to find module HTML/Parser.pm
11 >>I found problems with sa-learn too after the update. I remerged
12 >>spamassassin to fix it. Then, to make sure, I ran
13 >>`/usr/portage/dev-lang/perl/files/libperl_rebuilder` - that took
14 >>ages and remerged all sorts of crap; I had to unmask or remove a
15 >>lot of stuff.
18 > Can I ask what's the purpose of libprel_rebuilder? There's no man-page
19 > for it. I've tried executing it as _normal_ user but permission denied.
20 > Don't want to experiment running it as root unless I know what its for.
21
22 Libperl_rebuilder, rather unsuprisingly, rebuilds all installed Perl
23 modules against a new version of Perl. It's supposed to be for if you
24 have a < 5.8 version and have upgraded to a > 5.8 version, but I find
25 Perl seems flakey/sensitive enough that it's good to run it once in a while.
26
27 It takes a *really* long time, though-- it works in 3 passes, so it's
28 very thorough, but quite slow (possibly depending on what modules you
29 have installed; many modules install quite quickly, but gtk-perl alone
30 takes a couple of hours, and it seems to be re-emerged twice, once
31 during pass 2 and once during pass 3). I just ran it myself, and found
32 that it basically moved the modules from /blah/blah/blah/5.8.5 to
33 /blah/blah/blah/5.8.6, re-emerging them along the way.
34
35 But atm, I've got so many freaky breakages going on, it was worth it to
36 me to cover all bases. And it's not like it *hurts* to do it (afaik); it
37 just takes a long, long time.
38
39 HTH,
40 Holly