From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mysterious syslog message "."
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2010 01:23:20
1 On Wed, 2010-02-03 at 09:37 +0000, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 08:57:19 +0930, Iain Buchanan wrote:
3 >
4 > > > b. use wicd instead, which is decidedly not a piece of shit
5 > >
6 > > I had a look at that, but it doesn't do 2 things that I use
7 > > NetworkManager for:
8 > > 1. mobile broadband (essential for on the road)
9 >
10 > True, it's been on todo for a while. It's no longer an issue for me now
11 > as I use a Mi-Fi 3G modem, which connects to the computer via WiFi
12 > instead of having a dongle sticking out the side waiting to be knocked
13 > off.
14
15 And how do you power it on the road? Much more hungry to have 2x wifi
16 going than one usb 3G modem (imho) and many netbooks are integrating
17 them so you won't have the dongle sticking out any more.
18
19 > > 2. NetworkManager sends dbus messages that evolution uses to toggle
20 > > its online / offline state. I was sick of forever waiting for
21 > > evolution to time out because I'd gone offline. (Granted, you
22 > > may think evolution is another POS, but it does certain things
23 > > that no other mail client can do, but that's another story)
24 >
25 > Wicd can run any command or script you want before and after going on and
26 > offline.
27
28 you're suggestions on exactly what script to run to tell the current evo
29 process to go offline immediately is welcome :) I couldn't figure it
30 out, but no doubt theres some way I could emulate the dbus message from
31 NetworkManager...
36 America: born free and taxed to death.