From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mysterious syslog message "."
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2010 09:16:26
1 On Thu, 04 Feb 2010 10:51:18 +0930, Iain Buchanan wrote:
2
3 > > True, it's been on todo for a while. It's no longer an issue for me
4 > > now as I use a Mi-Fi 3G modem, which connects to the computer via WiFi
5 > > instead of having a dongle sticking out the side waiting to be knocked
6 > > off.
7 >
8 > And how do you power it on the road? Much more hungry to have 2x
9 > wifi going than one usb 3G modem (imho)
10
11 The Mi-Fi is self powered, so the laptop's power requirements are exactly
12 the same as when using any other wifi connection. It also has the
13 advantage that you can connect more than one computer through it.
14
15 > > Wicd can run any command or script you want before and after going on
16 > > and offline.
17 >
18 > you're suggestions on exactly what script to run to tell the current evo
19 > process to go offline immediately is welcome :) I couldn't figure it
20 > out, but no doubt theres some way I could emulate the dbus message from
21 > NetworkManager...
22
23 You can send dbus messages from the command line you just need to know
24 what to send to put Evolution offline. Not using Evolution, I
25 wouldn't know, but you may not need dbus. At least with Claws, I can just
26 run "claws-mail --offline" to put the running instance in offline mode.
30 Neil Bothwick
31
32 Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.