From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How can I control size of /run (tmpfs)?
Date: Sun, 27 May 2012 08:04:12
1 On Sun, 27 May 2012 09:05:46 +0200
2 Jarry <mr.jarry@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > I have read through all replies, but I still did not find
5 > answers to my original questions:
6 >
7 > Q1: Can I somehow reduce the size of /run? I know it is tmpfs
8 > and I know this is upper limit normally never achieved, but
9 > I want to reduce this upper limit. Is it possible, or is it
10 > hard-coded to half of physical memory?
11
12 I think this works IIRC:
13
14 List it in /etc/fstab. Max size goes in the options field using the
15 syntax described in man mount
18 > Q2: Can I turn this "/run in tmpfs" feature off? I do not
19 > see *any* advantage in vasting memory for /run (although
20 > I agree there might be some point in moving "run" from
21 > /var/run to /run). But I see one big problem:
24 If if limit the tmpfs to say 100M or so then this is not a problem at
25 all
29 > If badly written application starts writing some crap in
30 > /run, it could deadlock my computer quite easily. And before
31 > you ask, no it is not so easy to do with /run on hard-drive
32 > because I have plenty of TB there and monitoring software
33 > running which alerts me as soon as any partition is half
34 > full. Unfortunatelly this does not work for tmpfs because
35 > with given read/write speed of ram-disk it would be full
36 > in a few seconds before I had any chance to act...
37 >
38 > Jarry
44 Alan McKinnnon
45 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com