From: thelma@×××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Performance: WD vs. Samung SSD vs. M.2 SSD
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2020 21:03:50
1 On 12/02/2020 12:45 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Dec 2, 2020 at 1:33 PM Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Am Tue, Dec 01, 2020 at 02:46:56PM -0700 schrieb thelma@×××××××××××.com:
5 >>> Nothing scientific, but I was surprised how fast M.2 disk so decided to
6 >>> time how fast GnuCash will load my accounting, her it is:
7 >>>
8 >>> Box 1.)
9 >>> WD (spinning disk) CPU AMD-8150 (8-core), 16GiB
10 >>> Time to open GnuCash - 23sec.
11 >>>
12 >>> Box 2.)
13 >>> Samsung SSD 850, CPU AMD Ryzen 5 1400 Quad-Core, 16GiB
14 >>> Time to open GnuCash - 15sec.
15 >>
16 >> I can hardly believe that. Does your duration include the entire boot
17 >> process? If so, the times look quite alright, but that’s not what
18 >> description says.
21 > Keep in mind these are different hosts, probably running different
22 > software with different workloads/optimizations, with different CPUs,
23 > differing amounts of RAM, and different storage technologies.
24 >
25 > It isn't particularly controversial to suppose that M.2 (NVMe) is
26 > going to be faster than SATA-based SSD, which is going to be faster
27 > than spinning disks.
28 >
29 > When you want to get to the exact differences you need to test on
30 > configurations that are otherwise identical, and also account for
31 > stuff like caching.
32 >
33 > Note also that M.2 is a form-factor, and you can find SATA-based M.2
34 > drives which aren't going to perform any better than any other
35 > SATA-based drive. Also, since NVMe is far more capable than SATA/AHCI
36 > it matters even more exactly what NVMe drive you're talking about.
37 > The storage device itself, and the PCIe version can make a difference,
38 > and of course you need a CPU/MB that can actually take advantage of
39 > the drive's full capability.
40 >
41 > You might not need the max performance NVMe is capable of, but it is
42 > something you should be aware of if you want to benchmark it.
43
44 You are correct, it wasn't any benchmark test. And yes, the old PC are
45 about 10-year old and 3-4 years old; and the new one is just assembled.
46 But I was surprised how fast the GnuCash open the database on a new box,
47 so I time it for a curiosity.