From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Performance: WD vs. Samung SSD vs. M.2 SSD
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2020 19:45:45
1 On Wed, Dec 2, 2020 at 1:33 PM Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de> wrote:
2 >
3 > Am Tue, Dec 01, 2020 at 02:46:56PM -0700 schrieb thelma@×××××××××××.com:
4 > > Nothing scientific, but I was surprised how fast M.2 disk so decided to
5 > > time how fast GnuCash will load my accounting, her it is:
6 > >
7 > > Box 1.)
8 > > WD (spinning disk) CPU AMD-8150 (8-core), 16GiB
9 > > Time to open GnuCash - 23sec.
10 > >
11 > > Box 2.)
12 > > Samsung SSD 850, CPU AMD Ryzen 5 1400 Quad-Core, 16GiB
13 > > Time to open GnuCash - 15sec.
14 >
15 > I can hardly believe that. Does your duration include the entire boot
16 > process? If so, the times look quite alright, but that’s not what
17 > description says.
20 Keep in mind these are different hosts, probably running different
21 software with different workloads/optimizations, with different CPUs,
22 differing amounts of RAM, and different storage technologies.
23
24 It isn't particularly controversial to suppose that M.2 (NVMe) is
25 going to be faster than SATA-based SSD, which is going to be faster
26 than spinning disks.
27
28 When you want to get to the exact differences you need to test on
29 configurations that are otherwise identical, and also account for
30 stuff like caching.
31
32 Note also that M.2 is a form-factor, and you can find SATA-based M.2
33 drives which aren't going to perform any better than any other
34 SATA-based drive. Also, since NVMe is far more capable than SATA/AHCI
35 it matters even more exactly what NVMe drive you're talking about.
36 The storage device itself, and the PCIe version can make a difference,
37 and of course you need a CPU/MB that can actually take advantage of
38 the drive's full capability.
39
40 You might not need the max performance NVMe is capable of, but it is
41 something you should be aware of if you want to benchmark it.
44 Rich