From: "Steve [Gentoo]" <gentoo_steve@×××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] OT "DirectPush" email and Windows Mobile 5...
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 13:01:58
1 I apologise in advance for this question being tenuously related to
2 Gentoo... My justification is only that I really like my Gentoo-based
3 Postfix /dovecot mail-server... but I also want to push emails to a
4 connected Windows Mobile 5 PDA/phone.
5
6 Historically mobile devices have polled for email - which kind-of
7 worked... but was far from ideal as it introduced unnecessary delays if
8 the poll-interval was too long - and killed battery life if the poll
9 interval is too short (as well as running up bandwidth bills). Windows
10 Mobile 5 touts a new "Direct Push" technology - which, as far as I can
11 tell, is an Internet-based protocol which alerts the mobile device to
12 establish a tcp connection and then listen on it waiting for a new
13 message. I understand that push-email in the past was synchronised
14 using SMS messages to force a poll - but that (expensive) option is now
15 considered deprecated. The problem I have with "Direct Push" is that
16 documentation is extremely scarce; frequently contradictory - and, it
17 seems, always Microsoft centric and assuming closed-shop IT. The sales
18 pitch from phone/network providers seems usually to be "We envision all
19 of our potential customers already have Microsoft Exchange, and can
20 apply the 'Direct Push' option pack." - which is bizarre and infuriating...
21
22 Is there a way to do "Direct Push" with Gentoo? While I'm aware of the
23 standard techniques to interact from traditional email client hosts,
24 email access from PDAs introduces the additional complexity of managing
25 battery life on the mobile device. I'd like to use the supplied Windows
26 Mobile 5 software on the mobile device.... is there an open source
27 alternative to avoid me having to switch to Exchange for my mailserver?
28 Do other Gentooists use push-email to a mobile device? Is the best
29 option to plumb for more proprietary client-side software such as
30 "ChatterMail" [ http://www.chatteremail.com/ ] ?
34 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list