From: Kevin Fullerton <kevin.fullerton@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT "DirectPush" email and Windows Mobile 5...
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 20:47:48
1 On 12:53 Tue 19 Dec , Steve [Gentoo] wrote:
2 > I apologise in advance for this question being tenuously related to
3 > Gentoo... My justification is only that I really like my Gentoo-based
4 > Postfix /dovecot mail-server... but I also want to push emails to a
5 > connected Windows Mobile 5 PDA/phone.
6 >
7 > Historically mobile devices have polled for email - which kind-of
8 > worked... but was far from ideal as it introduced unnecessary delays if
9 > the poll-interval was too long - and killed battery life if the poll
10 > interval is too short (as well as running up bandwidth bills). Windows
11 > Mobile 5 touts a new "Direct Push" technology - which, as far as I can
12 > tell, is an Internet-based protocol which alerts the mobile device to
13 > establish a tcp connection and then listen on it waiting for a new
14 > message. I understand that push-email in the past was synchronised
15 > using SMS messages to force a poll - but that (expensive) option is now
16 > considered deprecated. The problem I have with "Direct Push" is that
17 > documentation is extremely scarce; frequently contradictory - and, it
18 > seems, always Microsoft centric and assuming closed-shop IT. The sales
19 > pitch from phone/network providers seems usually to be "We envision all
20 > of our potential customers already have Microsoft Exchange, and can
21 > apply the 'Direct Push' option pack." - which is bizarre and infuriating...
22 >
23 > Is there a way to do "Direct Push" with Gentoo? While I'm aware of the
24 > standard techniques to interact from traditional email client hosts,
25 > email access from PDAs introduces the additional complexity of managing
26 > battery life on the mobile device. I'd like to use the supplied Windows
27 > Mobile 5 software on the mobile device.... is there an open source
28 > alternative to avoid me having to switch to Exchange for my mailserver?
29 > Do other Gentooists use push-email to a mobile device? Is the best
30 > option to plumb for more proprietary client-side software such as
31 > "ChatterMail" [ http://www.chatteremail.com/ ] ?
32
33 Hi there,
34
35 This is something I'd love for Gentoo or any OSS alternative to do - I've got a Windows Mobile 5 device, and currently have an old machine just
36 running Windows 2000 and Exchange at home for my push e-mail which frequently breaks (like today when Windows rebooted automatically for a hotfix and
37 the machine didn't come up again)
38
39 As far as I know, DirectPush uses a GPRS connection only (it won't use the built-in WiFi on the phone if available) and basically sends a small "ping"
40 request every minute to the server over IP, which the server replies to telling the device that there are no new messages or new messages in which
41 case it opens a connection to the server to sync.
42
43 I had to load a service pack onto my Exchange Server, as well as onto my Windows Mobile device to get DirectPush as an option, I'd just love for this
44 to be an option for any IMAP enabled server (as far as I can make out it uses the Exchange Outlook Web Access functionality for DirectPush to work)
45
46 Maybe this will be something Microsoft will open up as part of the EU investigation which means they must publish interoperability specs for their
47 API's?
51 > --
52 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
55 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list