From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How should I clean up my broken system?
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 14:07:37
1 On Montag 22 Februar 2010, daid kahl wrote:
2 > >> > > > On a more serious note, conf-update automatically merges trivial
3 > >> > > > changes, so any configs you ran at the default, which is probably
4 > >> > > > the majority, won't be flaged at all.
5 > >> > >
6 > >> > > so does cfg-update....
7 > >> >
8 > >> > Every now and then, someone mentions cfg-update - usually you :) - and
9 > >> > I give it another try, but I don't really get on with it and always
11 > >> > just prefer (or am used to) conf-update.
12 > >> >
13 > >> > I expect that if I were still using etc-update or dispatch-conf I
14 > >> > would welcome it with open arms though.
15 >
16 > Yay, thanks for the ideas. dispatch-conf was a welcome change from
17 > etc-update, so this must be the next step. And just in time too, I
18 > updated to ~x86 last week, and I left around the 11 config files that
19 > need more than just hand waving to deal with (looks like important
20 > changes, but I did modifications as well to those cases).
21 >
22 > >> You make me feel out of touch with Gentoo! Is dispatch-conf and
23 > >> etc-update that bad then?
24 > >
25 > > out of touch would be rolling your own config update tool, like me ;)
26 > > It hasn't changed much since I started using Gentoo...
27 > >
28 > > --
29 > > Iain Buchanan <iaindb at netspace dot net dot au>
30 >
31 > Sharing is caring! Can we try it? More importantly, would we want to?
32 >
33 > I'm wondering if some of these config manglers have configs
34 > themselves, or some place to keep track of the configs I want like red
35 > flagged to not get accidentially overwritten (sorry I didn't read the
36 > man pages yet because I didn't get too screwed without), because I
37 > want to keep track of the ones I edit other than some text file or my
38 > memory "oh yeah, vim I hated the auto-line wrapping...where's that
39 > backup from last week?"
40 >
41 > ~daid
42
43 well, cfg-update keeps a backup. It detects manual edits and try to resolve
44 conflicts resulting from that automatically. Which works surprisingly well. If
45 it can not resolve them itself, it opens a diff app you set in its config - like
46 kdiff3, sdiff, beediff... etc. You do your changes, save, quit, cfg-update does
47 the rest - and next time remembers what you did.