From: Boris Fersing <kernelsensei@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What to do when you can't loggin
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 11:06:57
1 2006/6/21, Paul Stear <gentoo@××××××××××××.com>:
2 > On Wednesday 21 June 2006 11:05, Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 > > On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 10:47:11 +0100, Paul Stear wrote:
4 >
5 > > > 1. What is the correct procedure to recover a system in this state?
6 > > > What tools do I need?
7 > >
8 > > In this case, all you need to do is boot without X, or SSH in from
9 > > another box. As a last resort you could boot a live CD chroot and fix
10 > > things.
11 > How do I boot without x? (I've got a feeling I should know this) I am using
12 > grub.
13
14 You have 2 options :
15
16 - add 'single' or '1' to the grub boot params.
17 - press I (interactive mode) during init and then choose to NOT start
18 xdm when the init script asks for it.
19
20 HTH.
21
22 Boris.
23
24 > > > 2. I have an rsynced backup on an external usb harddrive, but unless I
25 > > > can loggin how can I restore the files from the backup?
26 > >
27 > > By booting from a live CD.
28 > I tried that but my cd didn't have rsync on it Its 2005.1 created Sept 05
29 >
30 > --
31 > This message has been sent using kmail with gentoo linux
32 > --
33 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
39 Quiconque me parle de Dieu en veut à ma bourse ou à ma liberté.
42 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list