From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] world favorites: pros and cons
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 10:19:45
1 On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 12:48:31 +0300, Daniel wrote:
2
3 > I know the use of "emerge --oneshot <some-packages>" emerges packages
4 > without recording them in the world set. I also know that all the
5 > packages installed as dependencies don't get recorded in the world set
6 > either.
7 >
8 > I see only one advantage in this - the next time I do "emerge --update
9 > world" the checking for available updates would be faster because the
10 > world file doesn't contain all the packages that are actually emerged.
11 >
12 > BUT...What happens if there are "critical" updates for packages not
13 > listed in the world?
14
15 You won't see them, nor any updates to packages that are only dependencies
16 of package not in world. In short, you break your system.
17
18 The only time I use --oneshot for new installs is when trying a package
19 to see if I want it. If I do, I add it to world with --noreplace. If I
20 don't find it useful, my next emerge --depclean reminds me to remove it.
24 Neil Bothwick
25
26 Foolproof operation: No provision for adjustment.