From: Robin Atwood <robin@×××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Initial console messages garbled
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2020 14:20:24
1 On Thu, 25 Jun 2020 13:55:18 +0700
2 > > Robin,
3 > > are you comfortable just going with a bare-bones console and build
4 > > a new kernel where you _disable_ CONFIG_FB? That might do it.
5 > >
6 > > Alternately, you can hook up a serial cable to another computer and
7 > > set "console=ttyS0,115200n8".
8 >
9 > I will try that, if it works it will at least give me a chance to look
10 > at the error messages.
11
12 I couldn't disable CONFIG_FB in the kernel, only select "module" or
13 "built-in" mode. I guess there is another parameter which needs
14 disabling. Researching that, I discovered you can disable frame-buffer
15 on the kernel command line. Also, that there might be an option in the
16 BIOS to set but I checked that and found nothing. So I rebooted and
17 used Grub to edit the kernel parameters and set "VGA=NORMAL NOMODESET".
18 This resulted in the usual initial garbage which was not cured by
20 things worse, which is rather what I was expecting. :(
21
22 Given the almost total lack of response to my post, I guess I am stuck
23 with this problem.
24
25 Thanks
26 Robin