From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: OT: advice sought on new laptop for Gentoo
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2010 20:27:20
1 On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 3:06 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Then there's non-square pixels. Without funky voodoo graphics algorithms, my
3 > screen displays circles as ovals.
4
5 That problem should not exist on LCD if you're using the screen's
6 native resolution. For example, the most common case of this in CRT
7 days was 1280x1024 resolution which is not a proper 4:3 aspect ratio
8 (it is 1.25 rather than 1.33). In other to make a circle look like a
9 circle you'd need to use 1280x960 instead and adjust the monitor to
10 make the picture fill the screen, or your programs would need to be
11 aware of the pixel shape and adjust accordingly (those funky voodoo
12 graphics algorithms).
13
14 With LCD monitors, the 1280x1080 panels are actually a small bit
15 taller than a standard 4:3 panel, so a circle should look like a
16 circle without having to do anything special. (However, if someone
17 uses any other resolution their circle will be oblong).
18
19 I was a die-hard CRT guy but I've found LCD with at least 100 dpi to
20 be acceptable compared to the CRTs I've had in the past. And in the
21 case of my S-IPS monitor I think it is really superior to any CRT I've
22 ever used. (My monitor with TN panel, however, is pretty bad.)