From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: OT: advice sought on new laptop for Gentoo
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2010 20:55:42
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 22:27 on Wednesday 08 September 2010, Paul
2 Hartman did opine thusly:
3
4 > On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 3:06 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
5 wrote:
6 > > Then there's non-square pixels. Without funky voodoo graphics algorithms,
7 > > my screen displays circles as ovals.
8 >
9 > That problem should not exist on LCD if you're using the screen's
10 > native resolution. For example, the most common case of this in CRT
11 > days was 1280x1024 resolution which is not a proper 4:3 aspect ratio
12 > (it is 1.25 rather than 1.33). In other to make a circle look like a
13 > circle you'd need to use 1280x960 instead and adjust the monitor to
14 > make the picture fill the screen, or your programs would need to be
15 > aware of the pixel shape and adjust accordingly (those funky voodoo
16 > graphics algorithms).
17 >
18 > With LCD monitors, the 1280x1080 panels are actually a small bit
19 > taller than a standard 4:3 panel, so a circle should look like a
20 > circle without having to do anything special. (However, if someone
21 > uses any other resolution their circle will be oblong).
22 >
23 > I was a die-hard CRT guy but I've found LCD with at least 100 dpi to
24 > be acceptable compared to the CRTs I've had in the past. And in the
25 > case of my S-IPS monitor I think it is really superior to any CRT I've
26 > ever used. (My monitor with TN panel, however, is pretty bad.)
27
28 I spent 10 years fixing TVs of every imaginable model and type from the best
29 to the worst, and all the improvements in between. As a result I'm finely
30 tuned to departures from the ideal with any display device. probably finely
31 tuned to a fault :-)
32
33 I can see pixels refreshing on all flat panels, even the best of the best LED
34 models from Samsung. I finally understood why when I found out how that "Xms
35 refresh time" spec is actually measured. I can see non-square pixels by
36 looking at thin but wide arcs, even more so when an oblong pixel is in a
37 square grid.
38
39 LCDs are easiest driven in terms of pixels - it maps to video memory. If they
40 are no-square, one has to know the horiz and vert dpi and apply a fudge factor
41 to make the image proportional. If the pixels are on a square grid, then one
42 does not fudge the image. All very horribly complex and frankly, more detail
43 than I can really be bothered with.
44
45 Which all goes to say that I have an unusual frame of reference, one that is
46 *not* universally applicable :-)
47
48 Your point about poor CRTs is taken. A lousy CRT is unwatchable but a lousy
49 LCD is tolerable. The finest CRTs though still outshine even the best LCD
50 (again, imho only)
54 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com