From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Preventing a package from being updated
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2010 13:13:00
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > Apparently, though unproven, at 05:13 on Saturday 23 October 2010, Allan
4 > Gottlieb did opine thusly:
5 >
6 >> Now I have masked mesa-7.8.2 downgrading to 7.7.1, which necessitated a
7 >> downgrade of xorg-server to 1.7.7-r1 (latest stable), which necessitated
8 >> a downgrade of xinit to 1.2.1.
9 >>
10 >> Thus my emerges now generate msgs that updates to xorg-server and xinit
11 >> are being skipped due to unsatisfied dependencies.
12 >> Other than this, the emerges perform normally and the system runs well.
13 >>
14 >> I could mask the newer versions of xorg-server and xinit and possibly
15 >> prevent the emerge messages, but I am leaning toward leaving it as it is.
16 >> This way when mesa is updated (to a hopefully fixed version) everything
17 >> should update automatically.
18 >>
19 >> Does that sound reasonable.
20 >
21 > Yes, that will work fine. You'll just have to tolerate those messages in the
22 > interim, but you know they are there and why. Nothing will break because of
23 > it.
24
25 Thanks.
26 allan