From: thelma@×××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: upgrade to gcc-6.4.0
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2018 03:31:58
1 On 03/15/2018 08:51 PM, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 [snip]
3
4 >> I did not switch to new profile "17" yet.  I was trying to rebuild
5 >> "sys-devel/libtool" first, but got a blocker.
6 >
7 > There's a news item describing how to upgrade the profile. It involves a
8 > full world rebuild though, so you should probably schedule that
9 > appropriately.
10 >
11 >   $ eselect news list
12 >
13 > to see current news items. The item in question has the title:
14 >
15 >   [number] New 17.0 profiles in the Gentoo repository
16 >
17 > to read it, use:
18
19 Yes, I was following it.
20
21 ----------quote-----------
22 If you are not already running a hardened setup with PIE enabled, then
23 switching the profile involves the following steps:
24 If not already done,
25 * Use gcc-config to select gcc-6.4.0 or later as system compiler
26 * Re-source /etc/profile:
27 . /etc/profile
28 * Re-emerge libtool
29 emerge -1 sys-devel/libtool
30 Then,
31 * Select the new profile with eselect
32 * Re-emerge, in this sequence, gcc, binutils, and glibc
33 emerge -1 sys-devel/gcc:6.4.0
34 emerge -1 sys-devel/binutils
35 emerge -1 sys-libs/glibc
36 * Rebuild your entire system
37 emerge -e @world
38 --------end quote----------
39
40 Though, I still run onto the error I posted above but it is solved now.
41
42 ---
43 Thelma