From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] USE="mmx mmxext sse sse2 ssse3 3dnow 3dnowext"
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 04:27:42
1 Hi there,
2
3 I'm always rather reluctant to enable any of these, being unsure
4 whether my ageing PentiumPro or Pentium 4 CPUs support such features
5 as 3DNow! (originally an AMD technology) or the advanced SSSSSSSSSE3.
6
7 According to this page <http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/MPlayer>,
8 however:
9
10 You can greatly improve MPlayer's performances (in my experience, by
11 up to +40%!) by recompiling it with appropriate CPU-related USE
12 flags.
13
14 Moreover:
15
16 Note: The mplayer build system will automatically detect your CPU
17 settings if you allow it. Therefore, the safest thing to do is
18 enable
19 all of the optimization USE flags and let the script detect them. If
20 you disable the use flags, then it will forcibly disable support for
21 that optimization, and possibly break your build. In other words,
22 add
23 mmx mmxext sse sse2 ssse3 3dnow 3dnowext to your USE flags for this
24 ebuild, and if your box supports it, it will work automatically.
25
26 w00t!
27
28 Should I enable all these USE flags globally? Will other packages also
29 fallback safely as mplayer does?
30
31 Or should I add all these flags only to /etc/portage/package.use,
32 allowing mplayer to make full use of the hardware USEs it supports,
33 but limiting other apps to only those I'm really really confident
34 about (i.e. "mmx" & that's about it).
35
36 Thanks in advance for all suggestions,
37
38 Stroller.