From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USE="mmx mmxext sse sse2 ssse3 3dnow 3dnowext"
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 04:37:55
1 On Dienstag 26 Mai 2009, Stroller wrote:
2 > Hi there,
3 >
4 > I'm always rather reluctant to enable any of these, being unsure
5 > whether my ageing PentiumPro or Pentium 4 CPUs support such features
6 > as 3DNow! (originally an AMD technology) or the advanced SSSSSSSSSE3.
7 >
8 > According to this page <http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/MPlayer>,
9 > however:
10 >
11 > You can greatly improve MPlayer's performances (in my experience, by
12 > up to +40%!) by recompiling it with appropriate CPU-related USE
13 > flags.
14 >
15 > Moreover:
16 >
17 > Note: The mplayer build system will automatically detect your CPU
18 > settings if you allow it. Therefore, the safest thing to do is
19 > enable
20 > all of the optimization USE flags and let the script detect them. If
21 > you disable the use flags, then it will forcibly disable support for
22 > that optimization, and possibly break your build. In other words,
23 > add
24 > mmx mmxext sse sse2 ssse3 3dnow 3dnowext to your USE flags for this
25 > ebuild, and if your box supports it, it will work automatically.
26 >
27 > w00t!
28 >
29 > Should I enable all these USE flags globally? Will other packages also
30 > fallback safely as mplayer does?
31 >
32 > Or should I add all these flags only to /etc/portage/package.use,
33 > allowing mplayer to make full use of the hardware USEs it supports,
34 > but limiting other apps to only those I'm really really confident
35 > about (i.e. "mmx" & that's about it).
36 >
37 > Thanks in advance for all suggestions,
38 >
39 > Stroller.
40
41 you can enable them globaly.
42
43 If a package would build using say 3dnow without the cpu supporting it it will
44 crash with an instruction error. So either it works always or never.
45
46 Just look at /proc/cpuinfo you find everything you need to know there. It
47 isn't hard. In fact, it is really ,really simple.