From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USE="mmx mmxext sse sse2 ssse3 3dnow 3dnowext"
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 05:00:26
1 On 26 May 2009, at 05:37, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > ...
3 > If a package would build using say 3dnow without the cpu supporting
4 > it it will
5 > crash with an instruction error. So either it works always or never.
6
7 Hmmmn.... so if I use it my applications might crash, but it's safe to
8 use?
9
10 The mplayer ebuild is stated to be "intelligent" about ignoring these
11 flags if necessary, so I'm not sure that "if mplayer works, so will
12 everything else" is a safe conclusion. My question was exactly if it
13 was so - are other ebuilds also as "intelligent" as mplayer?
14
15 > Just look at /proc/cpuinfo you find everything you need to know
16 > there. It
17 > isn't hard. In fact, it is really ,really simple.
18
19 I'd disagree. If it were really simple, Portage would take care of it
20 automagically for me. It (apparently?) doesn't.
21
22 It's kinda a pain to have to look up what's supported on each system,
23 and then edit make.conf accordingly. Especially as some translation is
24 required: Adam Carter states, 'apparently "pni" = sse3'. What else
25 might be this or that or something else? The suggested `grep flags /
26 proc/cpuinfo` shows "apic sep mtrr" amongst others, but there appears
27 no USE flags corresponding to those. Or are there?
28
29 To keep my life simple, I'm going to use the absolute minimum of
30 flashypants hardware USE flags unless I know its safe.
31
32 Looks like `echo media-video/mplayer mmx mmxext sse sse2 ssse3 3dnow
33 3dnowext >> /etc/portage/package.use` unless someone else is able to
34 be more informative.
35
36 Stroller.