From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USE="mmx mmxext sse sse2 ssse3 3dnow 3dnowext"
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 05:10:13
1 On Dienstag 26 Mai 2009, Stroller wrote:
2 > On 26 May 2009, at 05:37, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 > > ...
4 > > If a package would build using say 3dnow without the cpu supporting
5 > > it it will
6 > > crash with an instruction error. So either it works always or never.
7 >
8 > Hmmmn.... so if I use it my applications might crash, but it's safe to
9 > use?
10 >
11 > The mplayer ebuild is stated to be "intelligent" about ignoring these
12 > flags if necessary, so I'm not sure that "if mplayer works, so will
13 > everything else" is a safe conclusion. My question was exactly if it
14 > was so - are other ebuilds also as "intelligent" as mplayer?
15 >
16 > > Just look at /proc/cpuinfo you find everything you need to know
17 > > there. It
18 > > isn't hard. In fact, it is really ,really simple.
19 >
20 > I'd disagree. If it were really simple, Portage would take care of it
21 > automagically for me. It (apparently?) doesn't.
22
23 portage does not take care. mplayers build has a cpu feature autodection.
24
25 Different stuff. Really.
28 > It's kinda a pain to have to look up what's supported on each system,
29 > and then edit make.conf accordingly. Especially as some translation is
30 > required: Adam Carter states, 'apparently "pni" = sse3'. What else
31 > might be this or that or something else? The suggested `grep flags /
32 > proc/cpuinfo` shows "apic sep mtrr" amongst others, but there appears
33 > no USE flags corresponding to those. Or are there?
34
35 apic is interrupt controller. mtrr is about ram access - and supported since
36 pentium ... 1? mmx? 2? very early. There are no flags, because that stuff
37 really is nothing apps care about (with the exception of X and mtrr - luckily
38 for you, that is nothing YOU have to care about).
41 > Looks like `echo media-video/mplayer mmx mmxext sse sse2 ssse3 3dnow
42 > 3dnowext >> /etc/portage/package.use` unless someone else is able to
43 > be more informative.
44
45 yeah, except that is bullshit
46
47 no pentium can do 3dnow. Or was there a 3dnow flag in /proc/mtrr? No? Then
48 don't even touch it. Same for ssse3. This has nothing to do with sse3. It is
49 something completly different. And p4 never had this.
50 Enable mmx, mmxext, sse, sse2 for everything and you are fine. Check for pni
51 if you want sse3. Everything else is not for you.
52
53 look also here:
54 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_4
55
56 as you can see:MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3 but sse3 only if you have 'pni' among your
57 cpu's features.