From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USE="mmx mmxext sse sse2 ssse3 3dnow 3dnowext"
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 06:15:40
1 On 26 May 2009, at 06:10, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 >> ...
3 >> The mplayer ebuild is stated to be "intelligent" about ignoring these
4 >> flags if necessary, so I'm not sure that "if mplayer works, so will
5 >> everything else" is a safe conclusion. My question was exactly if it
6 >> was so - are other ebuilds also as "intelligent" as mplayer?
7 >>
8 >> ...
9 >> I'd disagree. If it were really simple, Portage would take care of it
10 >> automagically for me. It (apparently?) doesn't.
11 >
12 > portage does not take care. mplayers build has a cpu feature
13 > autodection.
14 >
15 > Different stuff. Really.
16
17 Right, that was the question. Thank you for answering it. Sorry if I
18 was unclear.
19
20 >> Looks like `echo media-video/mplayer mmx mmxext sse sse2 ssse3 3dnow
21 >> 3dnowext >> /etc/portage/package.use` unless someone else is able to
22 >> be more informative.
23 >
24 > yeah, except that is bullshit
25
26 So? It doesn't matter. Uh, I mean - that's what you just told me.
27
28 > no pentium can do 3dnow.
29
30 I did think that. But with other instructions adopted by the other
31 manufacturer (eg. Intel adopted the amd64 architecture, I think?) it
32 seemed odd that a set of instructions would be ignored so long.
33
34 > Or was there a 3dnow flag in /proc/mtrr? No? Then
35 > don't even touch it. Same for ssse3. This has nothing to do with
36 > sse3. It is
37 > something completly different. And p4 never had this.
38
39 That's cool. I'll just keep minimal hardware USE flags in make.conf;
40 in /etc/portage/package.use I'll tell mplayer to USE everything
41 (including 3dnow) that it can.
42
43 Thanks,
44