From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USE="mmx mmxext sse sse2 ssse3 3dnow 3dnowext"
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 06:27:29
1 On Dienstag 26 Mai 2009, Stroller wrote:
2 > On 26 May 2009, at 06:10, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 > >> ...
4 > >> The mplayer ebuild is stated to be "intelligent" about ignoring these
5 > >> flags if necessary, so I'm not sure that "if mplayer works, so will
6 > >> everything else" is a safe conclusion. My question was exactly if it
7 > >> was so - are other ebuilds also as "intelligent" as mplayer?
8 > >>
9 > >> ...
10 > >> I'd disagree. If it were really simple, Portage would take care of it
11 > >> automagically for me. It (apparently?) doesn't.
12 > >
13 > > portage does not take care. mplayers build has a cpu feature
14 > > autodection.
15 > >
16 > > Different stuff. Really.
17 >
18 > Right, that was the question. Thank you for answering it. Sorry if I
19 > was unclear.
20 >
21 > >> Looks like `echo media-video/mplayer mmx mmxext sse sse2 ssse3 3dnow
22 > >> 3dnowext >> /etc/portage/package.use` unless someone else is able to
23 > >> be more informative.
24 > >
25 > > yeah, except that is bullshit
26 >
27 > So? It doesn't matter. Uh, I mean - that's what you just told me.
30 see a bit below
33 > > no pentium can do 3dnow.
34 >
35 > I did think that. But with other instructions adopted by the other
36 > manufacturer (eg. Intel adopted the amd64 architecture, I think?) it
37 > seemed odd that a set of instructions would be ignored so long.
38
39 because 3dnow is/was very unimportant for intel- but Intel couldn't compete
40 without AMD64. So they had to licence it. 3dnow and SSE have a lot of commands
41 in common/similar commands anyway so it doesn't really matter from Intels POV.
42
43 The thing is - autodetection is a useflag too - and you are trusting a feature
44 that might break any time. Better to know what your cpu can and can't do and
45 set it by yourself. Also there are a lot more packages that do benefit from
46 mmx, 3dnow, sse...
49 > > Or was there a 3dnow flag in /proc/mtrr? No? Then
50 > > don't even touch it. Same for ssse3. This has nothing to do with
51 > > sse3. It is
52 > > something completly different. And p4 never had this.
53 >
54 > That's cool. I'll just keep minimal hardware USE flags in make.conf;
55 > in /etc/portage/package.use I'll tell mplayer to USE everything
56 > (including 3dnow) that it can.
57
58 sorry that I was harsh. I shouldn't have been awake when I wrote the mail -
59 freaking heat...