From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USE="mmx mmxext sse sse2 ssse3 3dnow 3dnowext"
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 08:35:12
1 On 26 May 2009, at 07:27, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 >> ...
3 >> I did think that. But with other instructions adopted by the other
4 >> manufacturer (eg. Intel adopted the amd64 architecture, I think?) it
5 >> seemed odd that a set of instructions would be ignored so long.
6 >
7 > because 3dnow is/was very unimportant for intel- but Intel couldn't
8 > compete
9 > without AMD64. So they had to licence it. 3dnow and SSE have a lot
10 > of commands
11 > in common/similar commands anyway so it doesn't really matter from
12 > Intels POV.
13
14 Completely OT now, but I seem to have a recollection that they have a
15 cross-licensing agreement which covers stuff like this without further
16 royalties.
17
18 Thanks for your help & the interesting discussion,
19
20 Stroller.