From: tuxic@××××××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] shutdown: /run/initctl: No such file or directory ???
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2018 02:40:58
1 On 03/30 06:02, Tom H wrote:
2 > On Fri, Mar 30, 2018 at 4:36 PM, Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
3 > > On Fri, Mar 30, 2018 at 3:56 PM, <tuxic@××××××.de> wrote:
4 > >>
5 > >> just a minute before I wanted to shutdown my Linux box...and...
6 > >> shutdown: /run/initctl: No such file or directory
7 > >
8 > > See bug 651990. https://bugs.gentoo.org/651990
9 > >
10 > > Either upgrade to sysvinit-2.89-r1, or run the following command
11 > > before rebooting or changing runlevels.
12 > >
13 > > ln -s /dev/initctl /run/initctl
14 >
15 > 2.89?! A new version after so many years!
16 >
17 > Looking at the upstream changelog:
18 >
19 > Added Robert Millan's Debian patch to use /run/initctl as the named pipe
20 > for communicating. This works around a limitation on the kFreeBSD branch
21 > which prevents us from using /dev/initctl for pipes.
25 Hi,
26
27 thanks for all the help.
28
29 An update this morning has fixed the problem...but good to know
30 the backgrounds and workarounds, if anything like that happens
31 again... ;)
32
33 Cheers!
34 Meino