From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT]: Converting flv to what?
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2011 16:04:19
1 On 16 July 2011, at 06:12, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > ...
3 > Now I need some space to store more *.blend files ...
4 >
5 > So I think I need to convert the flvs into another format...
6 >
7 > What is the most recommended format to preserve as much as possible
8 > of the original video and audio quality *and* to save space beyond
9 > the "some kilobytes" area?
10
11 If you use:
12 alias mplayer-identify='mplayer -vo null -ao null -identify -endpos 1'
13 mplayer-identify /path/to/file.flv
14
15 you'll probably find that they're encoded in h264, anyway.
16
17 I've actually got some .flvs here that are encoded in VP6, but h264 is much more common, the most common codec for flvs on the web, and it's about the best codec out there at the moment. For image quality vs size, you won't get much better.
18
19 I would prefer my video files in a nicer container, such as .mp4 or .mkv, but that won't make the files any smaller.
20
21 You'll need to transcode to get smaller sizes.
22
23 As the others have said: transcoding is a fundamentally lossy operation, and I would avoid it. It's also slow.
24
25 Stroller.