From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kernel 3.17.0
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2014 11:22:41
1 On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 11:53 PM, Fernando Rodriguez
2 <frodriguez.developer@×××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Monday 20 October 2014 10:59:52 AM Michael Mattes wrote:
4 >> And that is because of the additional features? :-D
5 >
6 > I've had issues with the additional features too. Some of the USB serial
7 > devices don't get detected. But this is fixed by disabling the Gentoo specific
8 > options. I may be wrong but I think they're just configuration patches, not the
9 > actual kernel sources. I do use the vanilla kernel because at one point I
10 > needed features from a version that wasn't yet on portage.
13 How long ago was this? It looks like gentoo-sources just tracks the
14 stable kernel, and so does vanilla-sources. If you want mainline you
15 need git-sources, assuming you aren't just pulling them from git
16 yourself (an option you of-course have with vanilla too).
17
18 The config items in the gentoo-sources are really just master switches
19 to turn on everything needed by openrc/systemd/etc - they're
20 conveniences just like meta-packages in portage.
21
22 Now, gentoo-sources DOES include additional patches, and some of them
23 are features. It is of course entirely possible that they could cause
24 problems, but I imagine that they're selected fairly carefully.
25
26 The general philosophy mixed with some very dated info can be found at:
27 http://dev.gentoo.org/~mpagano/genpatches/
30 Rich