From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Install from USB stick; here's how
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2013 12:32:20
1 On 2013-09-06, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Sep 04, 2013 at 09:59:28PM +0000, Grant Edwards wrote
3 >
4 >> Do the instructions at http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/LiveUSB/HOWTO work
5 >> with UEFI machines where the simple 'dd' method doesn't?
6 >
7 > I don't have a UEFI boot machine, so I don't know.
8 >
9 >> One datapoint: my motherboard has UEFI bios, and simply dd'ing the
10 >> minimal install .iso to a flash drive worked fine. When I boot up
11 >> with the USB drive, the BIOS boot menu shows two entries for the USB
12 >> drive, the first one always worked, so I never tried the second one...
13 >
14 > Are you booting in UEFI mode or "legacy mode"?
15
16 Legacy mode. Will a minimal install CD work in non-legacy UEFI-only
17 mode?
20 Grant