From: bn <brullonulla@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] libtool 2.x upgrade
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 14:13:53
1 Neil Bothwick ha scritto:
2 > On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 02:15:09 +0100, bn wrote:
3 >
4 >> I have a stable x86 system that requires still a bit of updating, among
5 >> those libtool and gcc. Since I need the system to be usable *now* for
6 >> work reasons, I don't feel like updating gcc and rebuilding it all with
7 >> an emerge -e system / emerge -e world, but more and more packages want
8 >> to upgrade to libtool 2.x
9 >
10 > GCC is slotted, so you can install the latest version but switch back to
11 > the old version instantly if it gives you problems. Unless the is an ABI
12 > change, which hasn't happened for a while, it is not necessary to rebuild
13 > everything.
16 That's exactly what I wanted to know. But it strikes me that from
17 libtool 1.x to 2.x there's no ABI change. Is this correct?
18
19 I don't know exactly what libtool does (I'm not a C programmer -well,
20 apart from very basic stuff), but in general major version updates break
21 compatibility, therefore my concern.
22
23 m.