From: David Grant <davidgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: etc-update vs dispatch-conf
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 21:49:44
1 On 10/13/06, Remy Blank <remy.blank_asps@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > maxim wexler wrote:
3 > > What does the group think?
4 >
5 > I don't know about the group, but I use etc-update and keep all of /etc
6 > in a Subversion working copy. This allows quickly seeing any changes
7 > made on updates and emerges, reverting changes if anything breaks, and
8 > keeping track of the reasons for specific changes in commit log messages.
9 >
10 > I also use a tool to store file and directory ownership and ACLs in an
11 > SVN property. I believe dispatch-conf doesn't track ownership and
12 > permissions.
13 >
14 > I even thought about using a distributed VCS like git to be able to push
15 > changes to a group of machines for e.g. updates, but then again, I don't
16 > have enough installations to maintain. Has anybody done something in
17 > this direction?
18
19 Great idea to use SVN. RCS on it's own is a pain to deal with.
23 David Grant
24 http://www.davidgrant.ca
25 --
26 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list