From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: can one tell me: gentoo vs opensuse
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2011 17:01:21
1 On 2011-12-10, Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
2
3 > And even you can't guarantee that the kernels are the same. Many distros
4 > introduce their own distro-specific patches to the vanilla kernel.
5
6 RedHat is particularly bad about this. I maintain a couple Linux
7 drivers that have to work with a wide range of kernel versions. There
8 are lot's of #ifdef's that depend on not only the kernel and some of
9 them also have to check whether it's a _RedHat_ kernel or not, since
10 RedHat is fond of shipping a kernel with version X.Y.Z that isn't even
11 close to compatible with the driver API for vanilla kernel X.Y.Z.
12
13 > With Gentoo, it's even more complicated, as most experienced
14 > Gentooroids will configure and compile their own kernels.
15
16 I've never had to add special code to a driver to handle the Gentoo
17 version of a kernel.
20 Grant