From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] can one tell me: gentoo vs opensuse
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2011 14:34:08
1 On Dec 10, 2011 8:50 PM, "LinuxIsOne" <linuxisone@×××××.com> wrote:
4 ----- >8 snip
7 > I have come to conclusion that almost all Linux work almost in the same
8 way since they have the same kernel, however, this is what I think.
9
10 I don't mean to scare you, but most Linux distros work differently.
11
12 First, there might be differences in how they install a package. There's
13 RPM, apt, pacman, portage, and others.
14
15 Second, there are differences in the "init" system. Gentoo users OpenRC,
16 Ubuntu uses upstart, and others use SysVinit, systemd, and so on.
17
18 And even you can't guarantee that the kernels are the same. Many distros
19 introduce their own distro-specific patches to the vanilla kernel. With
20 Gentoo, it's even more complicated, as most experienced Gentooroids will
21 configure and compile their own kernels.
22
23 (The last paragraph, however, is the reason why Gentoo is so secure:
24 attackers can't be sure that the vuln they're targeting is located at the
25 right spot, *if* the vuln exists at all. Throw in hardened patches like
26 GrSecurity, PAX, and SELinux... well, you get the idea.)
27
28 ((No wonder NASDAQ uses Gentoo for its infrastructure))
29
30 Rgds,