From: LinuxIsOne <linuxisone@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] can one tell me: gentoo vs opensuse
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2011 13:47:25
1 On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 5:11 PM, Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de> wrote:
4 > I did this in the past. But recently I’m reassessing this, with Ubuntu
5 > changing
6 > the default look and the way it works with every other release (remember
7 > the
8 > hassle about window buttons to the left by default?). I can’t really
9 > explain
10 > -- let alone justify -- to a newbie, who had to adapt from Win to Ubuntu
11 > that
12 > he has to do so again, whether he wants to or not. Plus it seems to me they
13 > are trying to become Apple in the Linux world, with own services (and
14 > design).
15 > I am totally at a loss with entry-level distros right now.
16 >
17 > I tried Mint, also the new one with Gnome 3. The praised Mint menu seems
18 > overloaded to me (it shows too much at once IMHO). I somehow dislike custom
19 > layers over a standard interface, much like, if I bought an HTC Android, I
20 > would reflash it without Sense UI, but I’m digressing.
21 >
22 > OpenSuse seems even more overloaded. Albeit it provides a whole
23 > environment,
24 > Yast was full of stuff a simple user will never need. It also caused a very
25 > long and voluminous installation process.
26 > I must add though that I peeked into both Mint and Suse only for a day or
27 > so,
28 > without ever using it myself, so I don’t know jack about update procedures.
29 >
30 > A friend of mine wanted Linux, so I installed Debian stable for her with
31 > KDE
32 > 4.4. It’s not bleeding edge, but it works because it doesn’t change much
33 > (hence
34 > keeps working) and because she doesn’t do a lot of fancy stuff. (And also
35 > because I used Debian testing for a while, so I know a bit about how to do
36 > some
37 > helpdesking).
40 I have come to conclusion that almost all Linux work almost in the same way
41 since they have the same kernel, however, this is what I think.