From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] can one tell me: gentoo vs opensuse
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2011 22:13:00
1 On Thu, Dec 08, 2011 at 08:09:34PM +0000, Mick wrote:
2
3 > > > Ubuntu is great for "it just works." Ubuntu isn't so great for "it
4 > > > just keeps working." Neither is Gentoo, for that matter, but, at least
5 > > > with Gentoo, you'll know how to fix it.
6 > >
7 > > Ah, thanks for the nice suggestions, I would keep a note of it. I
8 > > would install in one old machine, I mean I would try to install Gentoo
9 > > after going through the docs..(of course, required in Gentoo). But one
10 > > more request can you also suggest about openSUSE? Is openSUSE lies in
11 > > the middle between Ubuntu and Gentoo?
12 >
13 > OpenSUSE is not that different from Ubuntu, but is a long way from Gentoo.
14 >
15 > There is no way to meaningfully compare *Ubuntu and OpenSUSE, because it
16 > depends what suits your taste and preferences. You can install both, run them
17 > for a few weeks and see which you feel more comfortable with.
18 >
19 > Last time I installed OpenSUSE (some years ago) I had to reinstall it when
20 > time came to upgrade to the latest version. With Ubuntu the upgrade path was
21 > pretty seamless. The Ubuntu devs had it all scripted out via the update
22 > manager. So, Ubuntu is I think easier to look after and keep upgrading than
23 > OpenSUSE was back then. Not sure how things have evolved since then in the
24 > OpenSUSE world. CentOS was no better than OpenSUSE in this regard.
25 >
26 > So, for a newcomer to Linux I would recommend *Ubuntu.
27
28 I did this in the past. But recently I’m reassessing this, with Ubuntu changing
29 the default look and the way it works with every other release (remember the
30 hassle about window buttons to the left by default?). I can’t really explain
31 -- let alone justify -- to a newbie, who had to adapt from Win to Ubuntu that
32 he has to do so again, whether he wants to or not. Plus it seems to me they
33 are trying to become Apple in the Linux world, with own services (and design).
34 I am totally at a loss with entry-level distros right now.
35
36 I tried Mint, also the new one with Gnome 3. The praised Mint menu seems
37 overloaded to me (it shows too much at once IMHO). I somehow dislike custom
38 layers over a standard interface, much like, if I bought an HTC Android, I
39 would reflash it without Sense UI, but I’m digressing.
40
41 OpenSuse seems even more overloaded. Albeit it provides a whole environment,
42 Yast was full of stuff a simple user will never need. It also caused a very
43 long and voluminous installation process.
44 I must add though that I peeked into both Mint and Suse only for a day or so,
45 without ever using it myself, so I don’t know jack about update procedures.
46
47 A friend of mine wanted Linux, so I installed Debian stable for her with KDE
48 4.4. It’s not bleeding edge, but it works because it doesn’t change much (hence
49 keeps working) and because she doesn’t do a lot of fancy stuff. (And also
50 because I used Debian testing for a while, so I know a bit about how to do some
51 helpdesking).
52 --
53 Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
54 I forbid any use of my email addresses with Facebook services.
55
56 Everything is poisonous -- it just comes down to the dosage.