From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: LibreOffice problem importing file : solved
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2016 03:07:53
1 160417 Andreas K. Hüttel wrote:
2 > Am Sonntag, 17. April 2016, 03:30:15 schrieb Philip Webb:
3 >> So another question arises :
4 >> has it always been necessary to add the user to the video group
5 > no it hasn't in the past, but with 3d acceleration creeping in everywhere.
6
7 The puzzle for me is that I can see no mention of it in my notes :
8 my user is in the video group in my previous machine,
9 but I'm quite sure I didn't add it there, so it must have been the default.
10 Somehow, it wasn't added when I set up my present machine Oct 2015
11 (or something overwrote it, but what ? ). My memory is
12 that Xscreensaver showed the 3D modules at that time,
13 but that they disappeared in early Dec 2015 , around which time
14 I remerged Xscreensaver & also updated Xorg-server + friends.
15
16 >> If the latter, how are users supposed to know re such matters ?
17 > I was wondering for quite some time why sddm only showed a black screen,
18 > until I realized that the sddm user needs to be in video group too.
19 > tl;dr - happened to me too and a solution or at least
20 > some big error / warning would be nice. Thinking about it.
21
22 Whyever would the default be to add 'root' to 'video', but not 'user' ?
23 -- one would expect it to be the other way round.
24 In fact, why would root ever need to use 3D for anything ?
25 -- root sb able to do all its stuff in a raw terminal without X.
26
27 Thanks again for solving both my problems so elegantly (smile).
28 It confirms by general belief that in Gentoo, problems are skin-deep :
29 find out where they are -- the difficult bit sometimes --
30 & then it's very easy to fix them.
31
32 PS what does 'tl;dr' mean ? -- I've seen it in other msgs.
36 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
37 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
38 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca