From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE? Get me out of here!
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 16:14:03
1 Mick writes:
2
3 > On Monday 01 March 2010 16:08:05 Alex Schuster wrote:
4
5 > > And another weekend of KDE4 trouble. I rebooted after some upgrades,
6 > > along those were Qt and MySQL. Now, plasma-desktop crashed, also
7 > > when restarting it on the command line.
8 >
9 > [snip ...]
10 >
11 > > Sorry for the whining,
12 >
13 > Nah! It's good to vent every now and then. :-))
14
15 Thanks! <sniff>
16
17 > Is it perhaps that you have a very complex/overloaded plasma set up?
18
19 Not really.
20 I would like to, though, this stuff is actually quite nice. I changed my
21 setup to have a different activity for each desktop, and I like it. I hope
22 this stuff becomes more stable and usable soon. And I am missing features.
23 Why can't I tell a plasmoid to appear on several desktops / activities I
24 select, and not only on one? Why can't I insert another activity/desktop
25 between the ones I already have? At the moment, I think I would have to
26 close all plasmoids and re-open them on the new activity I want them to
27 be, this is annoying.
28 But again, I like the whole idea, it's only not perfect yet.
29
30 > I've updated KDE on two machines and went swimmingly well. On one
31 > machine I first removed qt3 and then had no problems whatsoever. On
32 > the other I can't recall what I did with qt3 ...
33 >
34 > Other than that, I've noticed this sort of behaviour in the past with
35 > KDE2 and KDE3 when I was trying to use KDE while major apps were being
36 > updated.
37
38 This might have been the problem. But I would not like to log out for
39 that, I just do the world updates from time to time when the machine has
40 not much else to do, but I like to keep my desktop session running.
41
42 Wonko