From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ~amd64 - my experience so far...
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 16:12:08
1 On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 8:12 AM, Paul Hartman
2 <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 7:40 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> Notes about what I think happened here:
5 >> 1) I missed the message about running perl-cleaner so I had to do that.
6 >> 2) I had a gcc build that didn't allow the profile to get set so
7 >> emerge -1 gcc fixed that.
8 >> 3) After that I tried emerge -e @system, emerge -e @world which failed
9 >> with more perl issues, but the same package seemed to be part of
10 >> @system and emerge -e @system was clean. A second pass at emerge -e
11 >> @world failed the same way. Thinking back to the old days, and I know
12 >> folks have negative opinions about this, I did emerge -e @system TWICE
13 >> in a row, and then emerge -e @world worked. Go figure.
14 >>
15 >> I'm going to finish KDE and see if it works. If it does then cool,
16 >> I'll stick with ~amd64. If not I'm deleting the partitions and
17 >> starting over with stable. I've invested a day and a half in this
18 >> experiment and my results are not leaving me comfortable. I need to
19 >> the machine to work so I can use it starting this afternoon.
20 >
21 > I think you've gotten through the hard part and it should hopefully
22 > work well from here. The gcc-config thing I have run into before after
23 > a new gcc version (unrelated to migrating from amd64 to ~amd64), but I
24 > don't think the ebuild tells you to do that...
25
26 Hi Paul,
27 The KDE install completed although it did quit in the middle saying
28 a 'make failed!'. I restarted the emerge and it finished clean the
29 second time. The machine is now emerge -DuN @world clean and I'm
30 writing you from within KDE. So good so far.
31
32 One minor annoyance is that the task bar at the bottom is about 1/3
33 black on the left. Resolution is 1920x1080 so I'd guess about the
34 first 800 pixels are painted the wrong color. The task bar still
35 works, it just doesn't look right.
36
37 This install is now running xorg-server-1.8 with all the latest
38 drivers, but there was an announcement last night on LKML about
39 2.6.34_rc4 which had a number of ati driver improvements so I'll have
40 to wait for someone to update vanilla-sources to support that. I'm
41 currently running vanilla-2.6.34_rc3. I don't really want to deal with
42 git-sources unless I need to. Comments?
43
44 As this is a very usable environment I'll stick with it for now.
45 However in parallel I'm doing to do a stable build on another
46 partition of my RAID just in case I need to fall back to stable for
47 some reason.
48
49 Thanks for your help, as well as everyone else.
50
51 Cheers,
52 Mark