From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ~amd64 - my experience so far...
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 15:12:28
1 On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 7:40 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Notes about what I think happened here:
3 > 1) I missed the message about running perl-cleaner so I had to do that.
4 > 2) I had a gcc build that didn't allow the profile to get set so
5 > emerge -1 gcc fixed that.
6 > 3) After that I tried emerge -e @system, emerge -e @world which failed
7 > with more perl issues, but the same package seemed to be part of
8 > @system and emerge -e @system was clean. A second pass at emerge -e
9 > @world failed the same way. Thinking back to the old days, and I know
10 > folks have negative opinions about this, I did emerge -e @system TWICE
11 > in a row, and then emerge -e @world worked. Go figure.
12 >
13 > I'm going to finish KDE and see if it works. If it does then cool,
14 > I'll stick with ~amd64. If not I'm deleting the partitions and
15 > starting over with stable. I've invested a day and a half in this
16 > experiment and my results are not leaving me comfortable. I need to
17 > the machine to work so I can use it starting this afternoon.
18
19 I think you've gotten through the hard part and it should hopefully
20 work well from here. The gcc-config thing I have run into before after
21 a new gcc version (unrelated to migrating from amd64 to ~amd64), but I
22 don't think the ebuild tells you to do that...