From: Marco <listworks@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] URGENT: Dead Keyboard after emerge --update world --deep
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2009 17:36:52
1 On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 6:51 PM, <meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:
2 > Marco <listworks@×××××.com> [09-10-06 18:44]:
3 >> On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 4:26 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> > Marco wrote:
5 >> [...]
6 >> > What happens if you emerge xorg-server with hal disabled?
7 >>
8 >> Cannot try this since I am not able to do anything as long as I am not
9 >> able to boot in to text-mode only... X is in default runlevel.
10 >>
11 >> --
12 >> Regards,
13 >>  Marco
16 > Hi Marco,
17 >
18 > bad and ugly:
19 >
20 > Boot into grub menu (I only know this for grub, other bootmangers
21 > should have similiar).
22 > Inhibtit automatic boot by moving the select bar up and down with the
23 > cursor keys.
24 > If you have locked grub with a password (you have?) enter "p" and
25 > enter the password.
26 > Move the select bar onto the commandline, which give the kernel
27 > parameter.
28 > Press "e" for edit.
29 > Goto the end of the line
30 > Enter ' 2' after the last parameter.
31 > Press "b" for "boot".
32 > You will end up on a commandline and you will be able to login.
33 >
34 > By the way:
35 > By giving " init=/bin/sh" instead of " 2" you can bypass the root
36 > and any other login.
37 > Thats why it is important to lock grub with a passsword.
38 >
39 > Thats only my lightspeed, your time machine brand may vary ;)
40
41 Thanks for that tip, but no success with it. I just found out about
42 the interactive boot mode ;-)