From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] verify-sig
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2022 08:05:37
1 Thanks.
2
3 BillK
6 On 9/4/22 15:32, Ionen Wolkens wrote:
7 > On Sat, Apr 09, 2022 at 02:50:30PM +0800, William Kenworthy wrote:
8 >> A new use has shown up named "verify-sig".  It seems simple enough from
9 >> its euse description but its causing a large number of packages to be
10 >> rebuilt unnecessarily (it defaults to off on my sytems).  Should I
11 >> enable it? - I can find much info on it and it looks like it will cause
12 >> major user hassles considering its effects so far - I am surprised there
13 >> has been no news item for it which probably means its not considered a
14 >> useful use flag.
15 > Use --changed-use/-U rather than --newuse/-N when using emerge.
16 >
17 > With --changed-use, if USE is changing from to:
18 > enabled -> removed = rebuilds
19 > disabled -> removed = ignores (changes nothing, no rebuild needed)
20 > missing -> disabled = ignores (likewise, this is the verify-sig)
21 > missing -> enabled = rebuilds
22 >
23 > While --newuse rebuilds in all 4 cases.
24 >
25 > There's largely no reason to enable verify-sig as you're already
26 > verifying through the Manifest. This is primarily intended for
27 > developers, albeit for users it can give some assurance that
28 > signatures were checked.
29 >