From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] pvcreate on LUKS container -> 'Device not found'
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2016 13:48:03
1 On Tuesday, March 08, 2016 10:41:44 PM Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
2 > Hi folks
3 >
4 > I’m trying to follow an article¹ on setting up a fully encrypted system for
5 > my soon-to-arrive laptop. It and others (e.g. ² in a very condensed form)
6 > simply luksFormat a block device, then luksOpen it and run pvcreate on that.
7
8 That is the general idea.
9
10 > I’ve never used LVM before, it’s only installed as a dependency for various
11 > FS tools. Hence, my LVM install is basically pure vanilla. But when I try to
12 > follow those articles, I get:
13 >
14 > kern $ cryptsetup status /dev/mapper/tp
15 > /dev/mapper/tp is active.
16 > [...]
17 >
18 > kern $ pvcreate /dev/mapper/tp
19 > /run/lvm/lvmetad.socket: connect failed: No such file or directory
20 > WARNING: Failed to connect to lvmetad. Falling back to internal scanning.
21 > Device /dev/mapper/tp not found (or ignored by filtering).
22 >
23 > The filter rule in /etc/lvm/lvm.conf simply says the default:
24 > filter = [ "r|/dev/nbd.*|", "a/.*/" ]
25 > Meaning ‘include everything except /dev/nbd*’.
26
27 This is the only filter-line in that file?
28
29 > Can you give me a hint what I might be missing? Perhaps I need to set some
30 > other of the many options in lvm.conf?
31 >
32 > Gratefully awaiting any helpful nudge.
35 > ¹
36 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Sakaki%27s_EFI_Install_Guide/Preparing_the_LUK
37 > S-LVM_Filesystem_and_Boot_USB_Key ²
38 > http://www.pavelkogan.com/2014/05/23/luks-full-disk-encryption/
39
40 What do you get when running:
41 pvcreate -vv /dev/mapper/tp
42 ?
43
44 I have followed similar howtos and never actually had an issues like you are
45 describing.
49 Joost