From: Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 'netstat -lp' oddities
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2010 20:19:30
1 On Fri, 3 Dec 2010 11:14:01 -0800 Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > I ran 'netstat -lp' on a system of mine and found a couple of strange
4 > things.
5 >
6 > tcp 0 0 1.2.3.4.st:https *:* LISTEN
7 > 2929/apache2
8 > udp 0 0 1.2.3.4.stat:ntp *:*
9 > 3203/ntpd
10 >
11 > 1.2.3.4 is not the IP address that actually appeared, but I don't
12 > recognize the one that did appear. An IP lookup says it is in the
13 > Czech Republic and I'm in the US. I did a grep of my system looking
14 > for the IP and found two recent "Relay access denied" messages in the
15 > mail log from a sender with an email address like
16 > "user@×××××××××××××××××××××××××××××.com" where myhost.com is my host's
17 > domain.
18 >
19 > The other strange item was the following entry repeated over and over
20 > under UNIX sockets:
21 >
22 > warning, got bogus unix line.
23 >
24 > Can anyone shed some light on either of these?
25
26 I suspect your IP address is 4.3.2.1, and your ISP gives it a reverse DNS
27 of 1.2.3.4.static.reverse.myhst.com.
28
29 Try netstat -lpn