From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] External hard drive and idle activity
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2020 13:26:22
1 On Monday, 6 January 2020 08:48:13 GMT Stefan Schmiedl wrote:
2 > Dale,
3 >
4 > "Dale" <rdalek1967@×××××.com>, 06.01.2020, 09:29:
5 > > Also, when looking for a drive to buy, what should one look at to see if
6 > > it is a SMR drive?
7
8 You will need to visit the OEMs website and dig into the documentation they
9 provide. Keywords like "archive drive/disk/format", "shingled magnetic
10 recording" and "SMR", would be a giveaway this is not a normal PC drive.
13 > > While it may be OK for my backups, I'd like to avoid
14 > > them on the drives inside my rig that are used for the OS or /home. I
15 > > dunno, just a gut thing.
16 >
17 > it's not "just a gut thing". SMR drives are not meant for random
18 > access writing; they write like a tape and read like a disk.
19 >
20 > A while ago, one of my clients bought one of those things
21 > to replace an older failing backup drive. The next night, the
22 > backup took hours instead of minutes. No knowing what was inside
23 > the box, I did some measurements and discovered that the first
24 > few files were written quickly, then things got really slow,
25 > with the rsync process waiting (state "D") for the drive to
26 > finish.
27 >
28 > tar-based backups went much quicker, though, which matches the
29 > expected behaviour of SMR drives; the drive did not need to rewrite
30 > many large areas due to many small changes, instead it only had to
31 > write one large area due to one large change.
32 >
33 > s.
34
35 Stefan reinforced a point made earlier by Richard (I think). These drives are
36 only good for linear backups, like tar performs when it appends newer files to
37 an existing tarball. If they are used as normal PC drives for regular writing
38 of data, or with back up commands which use rsync, cp, etc. then the disk will
39 fail much sooner than expected because of repeated multiple areas being
40 deleted, before each smaller write. I recall reading about how short the life
41 of SMR drives was shown to be when used in NAS devices - check google or
42 youtube if you're interested in the specifics.
43
44 Personally, I would only use such a drive for 'keepers'. Say, films I intend
45 to write once and watch many times, ripped music albums, family photos, etc.
46 For OS files and other temporary backups I would use a normal PC drive.
47
48 PS. When you put together a tar script do not forget to add --xattrs. If not,
49 you'll find some commands break when you run them from a restored fs.
50 --
51 Regards,
52 Mick