From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: What happened to Qt 5?
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2014 17:32:23
1 john <jdm <at> jdm.myzen.co.uk> writes:
4 > On Sun, 01 Jun 2014 18:11:11 -0400
5 > covici <at> ccs.covici.com wrote:
6 >
7 > > James <wireless <at> tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
8 > >
9 > > > john <jdm <at> jdm.myzen.co.uk> writes:
10 > > >
11 > > >
12 > > > > lxqt is up and running in Gentoo. It's listed in packages.
13 > > > > The only problem I had was emerging lxqt-panel but just had to
14 > > > > change a
15 > > > use flag of lxqt-panel from
16 > > > > quicklauch to
17 > > > > -quicklaunch and it emerged. No problems with anything else and
18 > > > > desktop is good.
19 > > >
20 > > >
21 > > > Wow! Did you do a fresh install or convert from lxde?
22 > > > If yuo converted, do you like it better? Was the conversion
23 > > > easy? Does your usb device auto-discovery/mount thingie work?
24 > > >
25 > > >
26 > > > Did you use the lxqt-meta package?
27 > > >
28 > > > got a list of files/configs you have to customize?
29 > > > useful docs or a wiki? I'm still fairly new to the
30 > > > whole lx** thing... But I love the light resource footprint!
31 > > >
32 > > > Maybe I should put it on a non-essential machine first?
33 > > >
34 > > > your thoughts and suggestions are welcome.....
35 > >
36 > > When I tried to emerge lx-qt-neta, it only wanted to emerge qt4
37 > > packages, even though I said use=qt5, how can I get it to emerge qt5
38 > > as well, or are they mutually exclusive?
42 > I "emerge -vp lxqt-meta" and it gave me an output of masked packages
43 > which I populated /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords
44 >
45 > eg
46 > =lxqt-base/lxqt-panel-0.7.0-r1 ~amd64
47 > etc
48 >
49 > Then emerge "emerge lxqt-meta" again.
50 >
51 > It only depends on qt4 packages though. Not sure about qt5 as I believe
52 > this is not available in standard packages yet. I can only see qt
53 > versions 4.8.5 in portage.
54 >
55 > Perhaps the use flag is for future functionality. Or you may need to
56 > use an overlay to get qt5.
57
58 I'm pretty sure this overlay uses QT5, if you read overlay listing here:
59
60 https://github.com/mika-k/lxqt-overlay
61
62 I have only been using lxde for a few months and it's been a bit
63 painful makking every thing work. USD auto recongnition still does
64 not work, but that may be a kernel issue.
65
66 I used "openbox (3.5.2-r1). I do not want to result to a problem
67 install, so I'm builing up an old system to install the overlay
68 with QT5 on it, for testing and eval.
69
70 If anyone has converted from lxde(openbox) to to lxqt, and has precise
71 syntactially correct guidance, then I'd give it a shot. I've had to
72 manually all sorts of (conflicting) config files here and there
73 to get to where I am (various xterms etc). Hell, I'm not even positive
74 of the dozen or so little config files the lxde-openbox is reading.
75 Sometime I know it is several.
78 So the one thing I'm looking for in lxqt is a singular set of
79 config files to control the desktop. That is my only negative
80 experience with LX*. Other that that, its fablulous and bodes
81 well for my journey to a James_enviroment on everything I have to
82 use. I also intend to run evernything on hardened and maybe
83 even SeLinux, after the basic desktop is robustly cool.
84
85 Anybody putting lxqt(5) onto android tablets? Windows? Cell phones
86 or any arm based hardware, yet?
87
88 > I did not use lxde before but razor. Its very similar to this.
89
90 Without clear migration path/encourage, I'm more inclined to experiment
91 on yet another box. Maybe the pentoo project would be supporting
92 LXqt(5) ? or LilBlue ?
93
94 That would be berry, berry COOL!
95
96 Comments, suggestions or guidance is keenly appreciated.
97
98 James