From: Ignas Anikevicius <anikevicius@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Runlevels, ordering initscripts and running them in background
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 14:57:39
1 On 16/05/12 13:13, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2 > On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 3:40 AM, Ignas Anikevicius
3 > <anikevicius@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> Hello everybody,
5 >>
6 >> I was wondering if the following is possible:
7 >> - Add a lot of daemons to a newly created runlevel post-default
8 >> - Switch to it after the xdm is started (or after some time)
9 >>
10 >> I want to do this, so that I do not have to wait while non-crucial
11 >> services are being started (e.g. fcron, bitlbee, ntpd to name a few).
12 >> Maybe it is possible to somehow prioritize the initscripts?
13 >>
14 >> Another related question is that I come from Arch and there I could just
15 >> give the *order* of the daemons/initscripts to start and some of them
16 >> could be started and 'in background'. Is it possible to do that with
17 >> openrc? I saw the rc_parallel option in rc.conf, but I do not know,
18 >> whether I need anything else.
19 >
20 > Be aware that the rc_parallel option has never been really supported,
21 > and it actually doesn't appear in the /etc/rc.conf of the one machine
22 > I have access to that still uses OpenRC.
23 >
24 > You may want to try systemd, it sounds like it does (out of the box)
25 > exactly what you want to.
26 >
27 > Regards.
28
29 I did know, that this was removed. If I experience problems I'll remove
30 the option, but maybe I'll remove it all together.
31
32 I have systemd installed as I wanted to try, but I do not like the way
33 everything is managed. I like the idea of simple bash initscripts, which
34 can be easily extended if needed. I can also write bash scripts, which
35 configure my system the way I want (i.e. set battery charging thresholds
36 or something similar).
37
38 I do not care for a split second advantage, but I just do not see a lot
39 of point in waiting for bitlbee to start before xdm so that I might need
40 maybe a while after I boot into my computer.
41
42 Thanks for suggestions to everybody.
43
44 Cheers,