From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Runlevels, ordering initscripts and running them in background
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 12:17:25
1 On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 3:40 AM, Ignas Anikevicius
2 <anikevicius@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > Hello everybody,
4 >
5 > I was wondering if the following is possible:
6 >    - Add a lot of daemons to a newly created runlevel post-default
7 >    - Switch to it after the xdm is started (or after some time)
8 >
9 > I want to do this, so that I do not have to wait while non-crucial
10 > services are being started (e.g. fcron, bitlbee, ntpd to name a few).
11 > Maybe it is possible to somehow prioritize the initscripts?
12 >
13 > Another related question is that I come from Arch and there I could just
14 > give the *order* of the daemons/initscripts to start and some of them
15 > could be started and 'in background'. Is it possible to do that with
16 > openrc? I saw the rc_parallel option in rc.conf, but I do not know,
17 > whether I need anything else.
18
19 Be aware that the rc_parallel option has never been really supported,
20 and it actually doesn't appear in the /etc/rc.conf of the one machine
21 I have access to that still uses OpenRC.
22
23 You may want to try systemd, it sounds like it does (out of the box)
24 exactly what you want to.
25
26 Regards.
27 --