From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Kernel did not finding root partition
Date: Tue, 30 May 2017 08:26:27
1 On Monday 29 May 2017 21:42:28 Kai Krakow wrote:
2 > Am Mon, 29 May 2017 19:16:11 +0100
3 >
4 > schrieb Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>:
5 > > On Mon, 29 May 2017 15:07:48 -0300, Raphael MD wrote:
6 [...]
7 > > > 3. boot-loader config
8 > > >
9 > > > Grub, without any different config.
10 > >
11 > > You said you were using rEFInd, why have you got GRUB as well. rEFInd
12 > > can work without a config, GRUB cannot.
13 >
14 > This puzzles me, too... Maybe rEFInd was installed to sda and grub
15 > installed to sda1, so rEFInd would chain-boot through grub.
16 >
17 > Grub, however, won't work without a config file. I'd also suggest to
18 > skip grub completely and use just one loader.
19
20 Not only that, but for some reason I couldn't get grub to work at all on my
21 Asus UEFI system. I use systemd-boot only, with a separate config file for
22 each kernel I might want to boot. (I do not have the rest of systemd in this
23 openrc system; just its boot program.)
24
25 It might not help the OP but this is my script for compiling a kernel:
26
27 # cat /usr/local/bin/kmake
28 #!/bin/bash
29 mount /boot
30 cd /usr/src/linux
31 time (make -j12 && make modules_install && make install &&\
32 /bin/ls -lh --color=auto /boot &&\
33 echo &&\
34 cp -v ./arch/x86/boot/bzImage /boot/EFI/Boot/bootX64.efi
35 ) &&\
36 echo; echo "Rebuilding modules..."; echo &&\
37 emerge --jobs --load-average=48 @module-rebuild @x11-module-rebuild
38
39 He may be missing the copying step; that would explain his inability either
40 to boot or to supply the info you asked him for.
43 Regards
44 Peter