From: Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Kernel did not finding root partition
Date: Mon, 29 May 2017 19:43:50
1 Am Mon, 29 May 2017 19:16:11 +0100
2 schrieb Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>:
3
4 > On Mon, 29 May 2017 15:07:48 -0300, Raphael MD wrote:
5 >
6 > [...]
7 >
8 > > > 1. partition layout
9 > > > 2. kernel cmdline
10 > > > 3. boot-loader config
11 > > > 4. exact error message on screen
12 >
13 > > 1. partition layout
14 > > /dev/sda1 vfat boot
15 > > /dev/sda3 xfs root
16 > > /dev/sda2 swap
17 >
18 > That looks OK.
19
20 Yes, but I am missing some info:
21
22 Is sda1 marked as ESP?
23
24 Also, you should mark sda3 as root partition through gptfdisk.
25
26 That way, any modern EFI boot loader should be able to auto-configure
27 everything.
28
29 > > > 2. kernel cmdline
30 > > None
31 >
32 > Are you letting rEFInd auto-detect it? Maybe you need to configure it
33 > manually with a root= setting.
34
35 I think you need a working initrd for auto-detection to work. At least,
36 systemd is able to assemble the partitions from GPT partition type
37 settings and can autodetect boot, swap and rootfs.
38
39 Otherwise, you should give at least a root= cmdline.
40
41 > > > 3. boot-loader config
42 > > Grub, without any different config.
43 >
44 > You said you were using rEFInd, why have you got GRUB as well. rEFInd
45 > can work without a config, GRUB cannot.
46
47 This puzzles me, too... Maybe rEFInd was installed to sda and grub
48 installed to sda1, so rEFInd would chain-boot through grub.
49
50 Grub, however, won't work without a config file. I'd also suggest to
51 skip grub completely and use just one loader.
52
53 > > > 4. exact error message on screen
54 > > Kernel boot up, start to load drivers and stop asking for root
55 > > partition.
56 >
57 > That's a summary, not an exact message. As such it gives no useful
58 > information.
59
60 Yes, this is not helpful. How could one expect us to be helpful if
61 she/he refuses to give details? Nobody requires to copy the screen
62 contents by hand. For me, a useful screen shot taken with a mobile
63 phone camera would be a first step.
64
65 I think there are even services which can OCR such a screen shot...
69 Regards,
70 Kai
71
72 Replies to list-only preferred.