From: Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] console scrollback (kernel 5.14)
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2021 21:40:27
1 On Wed, Sep 22, 2021 at 9:29 PM Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hello, Jorge.
4 >
5 Hi Alan, thanks for the reply
6
7 > I must confess that somebody told me by private email that it fails on
8 > systems which change their screen geometry during boot-up. For example,
9 > a system which first boots into 80x25, then changes to a frame buffer.
10 > I know why this is happening, but I don't have a machine to debug it on,
11 > so the debugging is happening slowly, with the help of my correspondent.
12 >
13 > It also doesn't seem to work on machines with kernel parameters such as
14 > vga=791.
15
16 OK, I don't know much about this kind of stuff, but I don't think
17 there's a problem there. I have an integrated GPU (intel), driver
18 i915, resolution 1920x1080. It boots (via Refind) with the proper
19 resolution, and that's it. All the VTs show the same resolution and
20 font. I don't use a login manager. No problems, no change is supposed
21 to happen. I start an X session from a login shell, in any VT except
22 tty1, which I like to keep as console.
26 > I'm assuming that the patch you tried to apply was
27 > 5.10.49-scroll.20210715.diff. If so, please leave it applied (with the
28 > one failed hunk), and additionally apply this:
29 >
30 I may have missed some announcement from you, I'm using
31 diff.20210405.diff. I wasn't aware of newer versions. Is there an URL
32 to download it? I would try it before trying to apply the patch
33 included in your message.
34
35 Thanks,
36