From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] console scrollback (kernel 5.14)
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2021 18:03:22
1 Hello, Jorge.
2
3 On Wed, Sep 22, 2021 at 22:40:11 +0100, Jorge Almeida wrote:
4 > On Wed, Sep 22, 2021 at 9:29 PM Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
5
6 > Hi Alan, thanks for the reply
7
8 > > I must confess that somebody told me by private email that it fails on
9 > > systems which change their screen geometry during boot-up. For example,
10 > > a system which first boots into 80x25, then changes to a frame buffer.
11 > > I know why this is happening, but I don't have a machine to debug it on,
12 > > so the debugging is happening slowly, with the help of my correspondent.
13
14 > > It also doesn't seem to work on machines with kernel parameters such as
15 > > vga=791.
16
17 > OK, I don't know much about this kind of stuff, but I don't think
18 > there's a problem there. I have an integrated GPU (intel), driver
19 > i915, resolution 1920x1080. It boots (via Refind) with the proper
20 > resolution, and that's it. All the VTs show the same resolution and
21 > font. I don't use a login manager. No problems, no change is supposed
22 > to happen. I start an X session from a login shell, in any VT except
23 > tty1, which I like to keep as console.
24
25 Sounds pretty much like my setup. :-)
26
27 > > I'm assuming that the patch you tried to apply was
28 > > 5.10.49-scroll.20210715.diff. If so, please leave it applied (with the
29 > > one failed hunk), and additionally apply this:
30
31 > I may have missed some announcement from you, I'm using
32 > diff.20210405.diff. I wasn't aware of newer versions. Is there an URL
33 > to download it? I would try it before trying to apply the patch
34 > included in your message.
35
36 I'm currently discovering what version control systems are for. :-(
37 Even though I've only posted two or three versions of my patch, I'm
38 already having difficulty keeping track of it. I no longer believe
39 keeping the patch informally is going to work. I think I'm going to
40 have to clone the git repository of the kernel (about which I'm going to
41 ask on another thread).
42
43 Anyhow, back to the topic. There's no URL with my patch; it's purely
44 posted on gentoo-users. Maybe I should put it into the Gentoo wiki.
45 But first, I must get it into a proper VCS.
46
47 As for the two(?) versions of my patch, they differed mainly in the
48 aesthetics - diff.20210405.diff had lots of ugly maintainer comments in
49 it. So, could I ask you please to try that 1-hunk patch I posted
50 yesterday on top of the version you have. Please then tell me whether
51 or not it works.
52
53 I am going to get this unsystematic muddle sorted out.
54
55 > Thanks,
56
57 > Jorge Almeida